On February 14, 2018, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) released a draft of its NIST Interagency Report 8200 (NISTIR 8200), which is intended to inform policymakers and standards participants in developing and implementing cybersecurity standards in and for IoT devices and systems. At a high level, the draft report is intended to:
- provide a functional description for IoT (Section 4);
- describe several IoT applications that are representative examples of IoT (Section 5);
- summarize the cybersecurity core areas and provides examples of relevant standards (Section 6);
- describe IoT cybersecurity objectives, risks, and threats (Section 7);
- provide an analysis of the standards landscape for IoT cybersecurity (Sections 8 and 9); and
- map IoT relevant cybersecurity standards to cybersecurity core areas (Appendix D).